Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Hey, Are You Gonna Finish That?

Blogging has been something I have avoided for sometime now, which seems strange for an aspiring journalist. I cannot call it laziness, but rather a fear: "What if I have nothing to say? What if "they" hate me? What if I am boring?" Enough with the what ifs--the New Year is approaching quickly and with it I have promised myself to find a new fear; a fear that is less impractical to my aspirations and find one that is a bit more logical, like heights. Well, here it is, a blog dedicated to what I know best: food, culture, and me.

As a little girl I went through a series of careers I wanted to pursue as an adult; an event which seemed mythical and impossible. One of the more memorable occupations was when at the age of 5 I decided I wanted to be a dentist. Dentistry was perfect for several reasons, one of which was because I didn't want to be like all the other girls in my class who dreamed of being an actress, singer, or gymnast; rather I wanted something uniquely me and flavored toothpaste, bad jokes, and the treasure chest was where it was at. Another reason was because I was naive--I had never had a cavity or any other dental problems until my late teens, and looking back on it now I would have made a much better rock-star. Once I realized that being a dentist meant being bitten daily I decided to explore other options, and one that continuously lingered in my mind was becoming a food critic. I may or may not have went through a chubby phase during my elementary school days and I knew officially announcing that I would like to eat for a living would only welcome harsh teasing. Now that I can confidently say that I can whoop all their miniature butts in hand-ball, writing about food (partially) doesn't feel so scornful.

Food is essential, and in my humble opinion (which really isn't so humble) having a developed palate is as important as having good taste in music or some sort of coherent fashion sense. Though this blog won't solely be about food, but rather my life and the world as I see it now, it will be something I refer back to often. So here I am, on top of my soapbox, doing what I do best: critiquing and judging.

Narcissistically yours,
D.

4 comments:

  1. And so it begins...

    by the way, I didn't know it was possible to be a follower of your own blog. good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did that on accident and now I don't know how to undo it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intresting writes Lady,food fascinates,good that you pen down the details as they say "Share a meal for he who eats alone chokes alone".......Kudos !

    ReplyDelete