Saturday, January 15, 2011

Those That Can't Be Trusted

I dedicate this post to my good friend, Ashley.

For years a couple of friends and I have been discussing a sort of conspiracy theory. The theory is this: people who don't like to eat can't be trusted. As far as I know there is no "real" scientific data to back this up, though nonetheless it became a hard fact for us. Now, this may seem irrational, but once examined its absoluteness is undeniable. In fact, we have studied and debated this theory so closely that is has become an indisputable rule for our circle of friends.

People who don't enjoy food deny themselves of one of the most basic human pleasures. Although like all things that are pleasurable there is a fine line between hedonism and balance. To find food and eating as a task is also to shelter oneself from culture and engage with others. Food is an art, food makes communities, and finally food is a significant glimpse into other's culture and way of life.

On New Year's Day, a friend from Eritrea (for those not familiar, Eritrea is a country in Africa next to Ethiopia) made for a small group of my friends and I a traditional Eritrean/Ethiopian lunch. It was her way of showing us her love and sharing with us her home. She made different lentil dishes, a beef-type stew, all served with injera. Injera is according to wikipedia: "a large sourdough flatbread, which is about 50 centimeters (20 inches) in diameter and made out of fermented teff flour. Ethiopians eat with their right hands, using pieces of injera to pick up bites of entrées and side dishes. No utensils are used." The meal was delicious and I am lucky to have a caring friend who took the time to expand my mind and desire to know more about the world.

To have denied this wonderfully prepared meal on the basis that food is a task and should be kept to its bear minimum, would have been to reject my friend, and more so refuse to open myself up to a deeper multi-cultural understanding. By stubbornly abiding to such pretenses one thereby refuses to learn, and those who refuse to learn or understand others absolutely cannot be trusted. These kind of people will always choose themselves and their convictions over yours, and you will be always be a second thought to them--I really don't believe a true friendship can last on such a frame-work.

Enough with my ranting, but to my readers, take a moment and consider the people in your life, and think about what I have just written. I am curious to see if this theory is as valid as I am convinced it is.

Narcissistically yours,
D.

1 comment:

  1. I am sharing this conviction, but I only feel sorry for the miserable souls who view food as a plain necessity, the fuel, so to speak. Perhaps, they've been overfed the nasty food their mothers used to cook on the false pretenses of being some kind of Ina Gartner:)

    ReplyDelete